With the Thanksgiving weekend coming to an end, we are all finally getting ready for Christmas; lights, decorations, candles, and Christmas Trees! Amongst all the celebrations, please keep Fire Safety in mind! Fires started by Christmas Trees, while can be rare, have increased danger and speed. One of every three Christmas Tree fires are started from electrical issues. One of every 40 reported home structure Christmas tree fires resulted in a death, compared to an average of one death per 142 total reported in home structure fires. Preview the following tips to help keep your family safe throughout the holiday season. Should you have any questions, please contact the fire department.
– Inspect all Christmas lights, look for frayed or pinches wires, and do not use those strands.
-When hanging Christmas lights, keep in mind not all strands are for indoor and outdoor use. Read all the instructions thoroughly.
-Water live Christmas Trees everyday. A dying, dried out Christmas Tree will catch fire more easily.
-Keep all Christmas trees at least three feet away from any heat source, such as space heaters and fire places.
-Consider using battery/electric operated, flameless candles.
-Should you use real candles, keep them in stable holders and on flat surfaces. Keep them away from areas where they can be knocked over easily. Keep candles out of reach from young children and pets. ALWAYS monitor lit candles!